陈豪在北京的ABC美国公司工作。他散会后跟同事Amy一起往外走。

(Office ambience)

A:CH, What happened to you during your presentation?

C:你注意到什么了吗?

A:You were doing a great job. You obviously had done extensive research. You had good materials. You were completely confident until half-way through.

C:这么说你能看出我后半截很不自在?

A:Yes. You suddenly became unsure of your self.

C:唉,都是因为Mr. Stone, 上个月从纽约来的副总。

A:What about him?

C:他根本没看我,一直在看其他文件。

A:Did you try to ignore that?

C:我也试着不去管他,可注意力就是集中不起来。

A:Did Mr. Stone do anything else?

C:他还在椅子上转来转去,不断看窗外。

A:He’s the key decision maker these days.

C:是啊,现在公司一切都是他说了算,更糟糕的是,他刚刚让秘书通知我,要找我谈话。

A:Try not to let this upset you too much until you meet with him. Let me know what happens, will you?

******

陈豪下午去找Amy。

A:How did things go with Mr. Stone?

C:完全是虚惊一场。Mr. Stone还表扬我,说我工作很有成绩。

A:That’s great.

C:看他早上开会时的表现,难道我的担心是多余的吗?

A:You were reading his body language this morning and he clearly wasn’t sending a positive message.

C:Body language? 肢体语言?

A:Words aren’t the only way we communicate. We send messages with our bodies.

C:那Mr. Stone的肢体语言为什么跟他的想法不一样呢?

A:Perhaps he was distracted or had something else on his mind. Evidently he was listening to you, but that is not the impression you got.

C:下次再遇到这种情况,我应该怎么办呢?

A:Normally, you could have stopped at that point and asked for questions or opinions, specifically addressing the person who didn’t seem to be involved.

C:停下来征求意见和问题?可Mr. Stone是老板啊?

A:In this case, you were in a tough spot since he is the vice-president.

C:你别说,有了这件事,我今后肯定会特别注意自己的肢体语言。

A:That’s a good lesson for all of us. Too often we send nonverbal messages without being aware of how others interpret them.

C:这么说来,很多误解都是在不知不觉之中产生的。

A:Body language can be used to impress people or to turn them off. It is directly related to good manners if you think about it.

C:肢体语言怎么会跟一个人的礼貌和修养有关系呢?

A:Positive body language like giving someone your full attention and having a pleasant expression on your face are all part of showing courtesy and respect.

C:注意听别人讲话本身就是对别人的尊重。